Thursday, February 2, 2012

Trash-talk

 
No I'm not talking about what happens when Oscar comes out of the trash and starts talking. Neither am I talking about the talk that you do with your friends near the trash. Or about trash.
 





 
This is what I'm talking about. The talks that occur in these types of situations. When you try to get in someone's head by 'trash-talking' him. 

Definition? According to Wiki, it is a form of boast or insult commonly heard in competitive situations such as in sporting events, primarily in the US.

Why is it called trash-talk? Beats me. Probably because there's no content in what they're saying thus it's garbage/nonsense which makes it trash talk.

 Why do athletes trash-talk? To undermine their opponent's position, mess with their head, make them lose that confidence and then gain victory in the end themselves.

Who does it? Even though it is said that it occurs in sporting events, I don't think it's for every sport. I can't see how golfers can trash-talk each other. They're probably too sophisticated for it. Or tennis players. They're too far away from each other to exchange insults during the game. These are still competitive situations though.  

Trash-talking is mostly associated with men. Probably because it usually involves the use of profanities and women as genteel beings, do not curse in public. That's a stereotype right there but I will not get into that.

So saying to a guy that he 'runs like a girl' or 'jumps like a girl' or 'throws like a girl' is an example of trash-talk. Why does girl = weakness though? 

It's ok girls, boys don't realize that when they engage in trash-talks, they're really talking rubbish.

2 comments:

  1. Do men really still swear more than women? Maybe that's something you could think about. I am pretty sure that my daughter swears far more than my son. But that is just one example, so we can't draw any conclusions from it. Do women swear alot among themselves? You tell me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or you only think that your daughter swears more than your son cause you're so used to hearing him swear that you don't even realize it anymore =)

    I don't think that women swear a lot among themselves. Not only because of its inappropriateness but there isn't many things to curse about. I think women only swear when something angers them but men can swear for no reason. Because it's 'cool' to swear.

    ReplyDelete